Thoughts on the Drawing Process!

Custom Keepsake Portrait of Your Child by Leona Hosack
Just finished this portrait of Phaedra Eggleston , my lovely granddaughter!
The cat hat makes the picture, don't you think!

My grandaughter Phaedra



Some thoughts about my drawing process: When I'm engaged in drawing, especially drawing faces as I love to do, I find that it seems like I'm developing a relationship with the subject, in the pose that the photo is in, or the pose that the sitter has taken. It's a one on one in the moment experience, from moment to moment as I work, a non verbal relationship that gradually deepens my understanding of what I am perceiving, and loving about the physicality of the subject. It can become so absorbing that I get to the point where I don't want to stop. 


But after I have stopped, taken a break and looked again, I find that I may have gotten a likeness of sorts though not an exact replica, and that feels ok. The drawing either pleases me, and I let it be done, or it doesn't and I keep going. There's very little thinking, planning, or left brain activity that goes on. 


Here are some of my favorite quotes on Drawing and the arts!:


"I rejoice to hear that thou takest pains with thine art, for in this wonderful new age, art is worship. The more thou strivest to perfect it, the closer wilt thou come to God. What bestowal greater than this, that one's art should be even as the act of worshipping the Lord? That is to say, when thy fingers grasp the paint brush, it is as if thou wert at prayer in the Temple."– From the Baha'i Faith


“Creativity is the ability to find new solutions to a problem or new modes of expression; thus it brings into existence something new to the individual and to the culture.”- Dr. Betty Edwards, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain 

" Originality depends only on the character of the drawing and the vision peculiar to each artist." Georges Seurat

"The whole essence of good drawing-and of good thinking, perhaps-is to work a subject down to the simplest form possible and still have it believable for what it is meant to be."-Chuck Jones


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tree of Religion Illustration- Happy Holidays!

Kamal's Day and Babysitter Blues make great gifts!